a hearty salad
I never thought much of raw broccoli until one summer my friend Sammi brought a broccoli salad to a girls' dinner night at my place. It was such a delicious surprise! Here's my version of it - hope you like it!
what you need:
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 1 small bunch of red seedless grapes
- 1/2 a small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds, toasted and chopped roughly
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta or blue cheese
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 lemon's zest and juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
what to do:
- Wash the broccoli and trim off the tough ends. Cut florets into bite size pieces. Trim off the tough fibrous outside of the stalks, then slice thinly (the inside of the stalk is actually quite tender and yummy). Place broccoli into a large salad bowl.
- Cut the grapes in half and add to the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix lemon zest, juice, mayo, vinegar, honey, and onion. Pour it on top of broccoli and toss the salad. Let it sit in a cool place for about 30 minutes.
- Add the crumbled cheese and almonds. Serve and enjoy!