what you need:
*makes about 8
- whole wheat baguette
- 1/2 cup diced sweet potato
- 1/2 cup diced medium or firm tofu
- 1/2 cup diced sharp white cheddar
- 1 large handful of baby spinach
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
what to do:
- Slice baguette on an angle, about 1/2" thick. Set aside on a cookie sheet. Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Dice the sweet potato, tofu and cheddar into about the same sizes (less than 1 cm cubes)
- In a pot, heat up oil on medium and saute garlic. Add sweet potato and saute lightly, then add about 1/4 cup water and cover to allow sweet potato to cook to fork tender (10-15 minutes).
- Add tofu and stir gently, cook for about 3 minutes. Add a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Add spinach and turn off heat. Set mixture aside and drain any excess liquid.
- Pile each of the baguette slices with a generous amount of the mixture, and then place 3-4 cubes of cheese onto each slice (try to sneak them into grooves/cracks near the bread).
- Place cookie sheet in middle rack for about 10 minutes, checking midway to make sure bottoms are not burned. Put the oven on broil for 1 minute, browning the tops and cheese will bubble slightly. Remove and serve warm. Enjoy!