|sticky rice meatballs on the bottom right corner, topped with peanut sauce|
what you need:
- 1/2 lb lean ground pork
- 2 green onions, chopped finely
- 1 large egg
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup glutinous sticky rice (short grain rice, arborio rice would work as well)
- peanut sauce (see fresh rolls page for this recipe)
- Boil about 4 cups of water. Remove from heat and add the rice; let it sit for about 1 1/2 hours. This step par cooks the sticky rice. (note: this step can be done the day before).
- Line a tray with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, use your hands to combine the pork, onions, egg, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Form meatballs (about 1 1/2" diameter) and place them on the parchment paper.
- Drain water from rice, and allow the rice to dry for awhile in a strainer or spread out onto a plate lined with paper towel and pat dry.
- Roll each meat ball in the rice until well studded with rice.
- Steam meatballs for 20 minutes. You can use a steamer, or create one by using a bamboo steamer basket over a pot of boiling water. (check out the gourmet sleuth website on how to use a bamboo steamer).
- Remove gently with chopsticks/tongs (be gingerly as you don't want to lose the sticky rice on the tongs!) - serve hot on their own, with a simple sauce of sriracha + soy, or with the peanut sauce for extra flare. Enjoy!