|Tasty, easy to make and healthy. Serves 6-8.|
You will need:
- 1 large butternut squash
- 3-4 large carrots
- 1 garlic head
- 1 large yellow onion
- 900 ml chicken or veggie stock (reduced sodium best)
- olive oil ~ 3 tbsp
- butter ~ 2 tbsp
- salt ~ 1 pinch
- freshly ground pepper
- Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Wash the butternut squash and carrots. (You have the option of peeling them but I don't - its more work and besides, the skin has fibre and nutrients). Cut it into cubes (you want the veggies to be the same size so they cook evenly) and toss in a large bowl with 2 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Place it onto a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Cut off the tip of the garlic head. Drizzle a little bit of olive oil on the top and add a pinch of salt and pepper, then wrap it with aluminum foil. Put it in a corner of the baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in the middle rack. Bake for about 45 min - 1 hour, check before taking out as the squash and carrots should be fork tender and light golden brown, not burnt. Once cooled enough to touch, you can spoon out the butternut squash from its peel if desired.
- Dice the onion. In a large pot, heat butter and 1 tbsp olive oil on medium heat. Add the onions and stir occasionally. Once the onions are translucent and golden, add the roasted carrots and butternut squash. Turn the roasted garlic head upside down and squeeze the cloves into the pot. Stir a few times, then add the stock. There should be enough liquid to just cover the veggies.
- Turn the burner to medium high. Once it boils, you can turn it down to medium and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- You can use a blender, food processor, or immersion hand blender to make the soup smooth. It is best to do this when the soup is cooled to almost room temperature. I have done it hot in a blender but you must be very careful and hold the blender's lid down with a kitchen cloth!
- Once smooth, taste. Add pepper or salt to your liking. Reheat in the pot until desired temperature. You can add a little bit of cream or butter to make it more rich and silky. Garnish with Parmesan cheese shavings and enjoy!