perfect party snack
A week ago a group of 12 of us went up to the cottage for family day weekend. It was a fun-filled 3 days of pond hockey, lots of good company, beers, and of course food. It was a little intimidating to plan meals for that many people but it was successful and tummies were satisfied! Everyone helped cook - even those who claim they can't - which made it even more fun. Some of my friends have requested the recipes from our weekend so I will start posting them! First up, homemade nachos with mango salsa.
What you need:
- 6 tomatoes (any kind, remove the seeds/excess juice)
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 mango
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 3 green onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 jalapeño (more if you like it hot)
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 bag of mutigrain tortilla chips
- 3-4 cups of freshly grated cheddar cheese
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Dice tomatoes, peppers, jalapeño and mango into small cubes. Place into a large bowl. Finely chop green onions and cilantro and add to bowl.
- Zest the lemon then squeeze its juice into the bowl. Grate garlic cloves over the bowl and add the olive oil. Mix roughly with a large spoon. Add salt and pepper - taste and adjust seasoning if required. If your salsa seems watery, sieve it.
- Line cookie sheets with aluminium foil and evenly spread one layer of tortilla chips.
- Spoon salsa evenly onto chips and top with cheese. Bake for about 10-15 minutes in the oven, or until golden brown on top. Serve hot and enjoy!
prep and cooking with friends
best part - eating together