what you need:
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 eggplant
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 4 cups lentils
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1" x 1" piece of Kombu *optional
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 heaping teaspoons of brown sugar
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
- black pepper and salt (~a pinch)
- cilantro & green onion (optional garnish)
- Prepare all vegetables by dicing them into small pieces. Roughly chop garlic.
- Place Kombu into warm water for about 10 minutes, then dice finely.
- In a large pot on medium, heat up oil and add onions. After sauteing them for 2 minutes, add garlic. Saute for another 2 minutes, then add the diced carrots, eggplant, and sweet potato. Stir and saute for a few minutes, then add the can of tomato and the lentils.
- Add water until it just covers the vegetables, and add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and simmer for at least 1.5 hours, stirring every 15-20 minutes and adding water as needed (also depending on how thick you want your soup).
- Serve hot with chopped cilantro and green onion for garnish. Enjoy!
|kombu is a type of seaweed with natural health benefits, and you won't even taste it in the soup|
check out seaweed benefits for more details