|warm and hearty|
what you need:
*makes a big pot
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 cans of beans (I used chick peas, black beans, and white kidney beans)
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp crushed coriander seed
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional! for those who love spiciness)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large can of crushed tomatoes (796 mL)
- cooking oil ~2 tbsp
- salt and pepper
- fresh cilantro and green onions for garnish
- Prepare all your vegetables by washing them thoroughly then dicing them all to about the same size (about the size of your beans). Keep carrots, celery, and sweet potato separate.
- On medium heat in a large pot, heat up oil. Add onions and jalapenos, stir occasionally. Once the onions are slightly translucent and lightly golden brown, add garlic. Stir for a minute then add the rest of the veggies. Continue sauteing veggies for another few minutes - then add the spices and stir to coat everything. Once the spices are lightly toasted (you'll smell them ~ 2 minutes), add the can of tomatoes.
- Drain and rinse the canned beans. Add to pot and stir, nestling the bay leaves into the liquid. If it seems dry, add 1/2 cup of water. then cover and bring to a boil. Once it boils, lower heat and allow to simmer for 1 hour. Stir occasionally to make sure the bottom doesn't burn. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot garnished with freshly chopped cilantro and green onions. Best accompanied by corn bread! :) Enjoy!