Sorry there is no photo...every time I make it I have good intentions of taking a photo but we are so hungry by the time it's baked I serve it up and then realize I haven't taken a photo!
what you need:
- one loaf of multigrain bakery bread (day old best - it will have more texture, plus it's usually 50% off!)
- 10 eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- 3 italian sausages
- asiago cheese
- your favourite hot sauce or srriracha *optional
- salt and pepper
- cooking oil
what to do:
the night before...
- Butter a baking dish (9"x13"). Be sure to grease it well to ensure easy clean up after! Or you can line it with parchment paper.
- Cut or tear bread into large bite size chunks.
- Cut onions and peppers into large bite size chunks. Cut sausage into bite size pieces.
- In a non-stick pan, heat up oil on medium. Add sausage and sautee until golden brown on the outside (doesn't have to be fully cooked yet) - remove and then in the same pan, sautee vegetables for a few minutes, until onions are softened.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until slightly frothy (2-5 minutes). Add milk and add desired amount of hot sauce (I used 2 tbsp) - season eggs with some salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Whisk again to mix well.
- Add sausage, vegetables, and bread pieces to egg mixture. Toss to mix everything, then pour into buttered baking dish, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grate asiago cheese (about 1 cup) and sprinkle over top of the breakfast bake. Cover with aluminum foil (tent it so it doesn't stick to the cheese).
- Bake for about 30 minutes, then increase the temperature to 375 F and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove the foil carefully, then broil for the last minute to brown the cheese on top.
- Let it cool for a few minutes, then slice and serve. Enjoy!!