what you need:
- 500 g tilapia
- 3 tbsp red thai curry paste (I've used Mae ploy and Aroy-D brands, both good!)
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- juice of 1 lime OR 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp naturally brewed soy sauce
- 240 mL coconut milk
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 red thai chilli *optional
- 1 green onion
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
what to do:
- Clean vegetables, peel, then dice into bite size pieces. Roughly chop garlic. Separate cilantro stems from leaves. Finely slice green onion and keep it aside with the cilantro leaves for garnish later. Finely slice red thai chilli (for less heat - leave it whole BUT be sure to take it out before serving!).
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add onions and red thai chilli and sauté for 2 minutes, then add garlic, carrots and sweet potato. Stir, lightly browning, then add curry paste.
- After 1-2 minutes of sautéing with curry paste, add coconut milk. Fill empty coconut milk can with cold water and add to pot. Add sugar, lime juice, soy sauce and cilantro stems. Stir, then cover tightly with lid. Allow to simmer on medium low for 15 minutes.
- Cut tilapia into large chunks. Season tilapia lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add to pot and bring heat up to medium and allow fish to simmer with the curry sauce for 8 minutes.
- Once fish is cooked (white throughout) - curry is ready to be served. Serve it over rice, and garnish with cilantro & green onions. Enjoy!