|warm and comforting|
what you need:
- 2 strips of bacon
- ~450 g lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 large can of diced san marzano tomatoes
- 3 portabello mushrooms
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 large jalapeno
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- salt and pepper
- canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large skillet or cast iron pan, cook bacon until crispy. Remove and save the fat rendered.
- Prepare vegetables by finely dicing them all to about the same size. Use the jalapeno seeds if you like more heat. Chop up the bacon as well.
- Put a little canola oil in your pan (about 1 tsp) - and lightly brown the ground beef on medium heat. Lightly season the meat with salt and pepper. Break up the meat using a wooden spoon. Remove cooked beef from pan.
- Using the same pan, return the bacon fat and then add onions, carrots, celery, and jalapeno. Once the veggies soften a little (about 5 minutes), add the mushrooms and continue to saute until they shrink in size, about 5 more minutes.
- Add the beef, canned tomatoes, bacon, bay leaf, oregano, water, and some salt and pepper. Put a lid on the pan. When the sauce begins to bubble, reduce heat to low to simmer for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf before serving, and taste to adjust salt/pepper if required. Serve with your favourite pasta and top with freshly shaved parmesan. Enjoy!