|a flavourful spicy korean condiment|
what you need:
- 1 large nappa cabbage
- 3 green onions
- 3 slices of fresh ginger
- 1 large carrot
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp ground red peppers (korean style - found in asian food stores - the one I bought is labelled "tower red pepper powder")
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 1 litre boiled water, cooled to room temp
- 2 cups water (optional)
- 1 tbsp bonito flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp dried anchovies (optional)
what to do:
- Thoroughly wash nappa, tear roughly with your hands, then using the side of a wide knife (like you would smash garlic), smash the ribs (centre white part) of the nappa.
- Mix torn/smashed nappa in a large bowl with 2 tbsp salt. Allow to rest for 2 hours.
- Peel carrot and cut into match sticks, ~2" long and 0.5 cm wide. Cut the green onions similarly.
- *optional* - In a small pot, boil 2 cups of water and add bonito flakes and anchovies. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup, then cool to room temp.
- After 2 hours, rinse nappa with cooled boiled water to remove salt, then squeeze nappa to remove as much water as possible.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients with the reduced 1/2 cup water (from step 4, if you didn't use bonito flakes and anchovies, then simply mix ingredients with 1/2 cup plain water). Pour over nappa and mix well with your hands.
- Pack nappa into mason jars (sterilized will keep your kimchi longer) - and refrigerate. It is ready to enjoy after 24 hours!
|24 hours later...enjoy!|